June 19, 2018 | SSS Sales
Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) emerged almost a decade ago as a solution to the cost companies were spending on intrusion detection / prevention systems. While SIEM was certainly a step in the right direction, it was simply not designed to handle the log data volume and correlation requirements of today’s IT environments.
This Whitepaper describes the challenges and issues that a traditional SIEM might present making it a solution that is not necessarily the best for an organisation anymore. Some of these include:
- Poor correlation and ever more time spent on tuning.
- The majority of SIEM solutions are difficult to use, especially when an organisation may not have sufficient resources available.
- Lack of flexible data visualisation tools providing reports that are not sufficient in helping you understand the end-to-end implications of a security event.
- A ‘rules-based’ approach that only supports a go-forward view of security data using a model that cannot be adjusted to compare data to older data.
- SIEM remains expensive and with a relatively short shelf-life.
For organisations to keep up with the ever-chaniging threat landscape, it is important that they have solutions available to them that are easy to use, that provide flexible data visualisation tools, the ability to keep up, and are cost-effective.
An alternative solution to traditional SIEM is the AlienVault Unified Security Management (USM) solution. The AlienVault USM solution offers simplicity and the highest level of security visiblity.
AlienVault offers significantly more than traditional SIEM. While traditional SIEM can offer event correlation and log management, AlienVault will also offer you the following:
- Asset Discovery
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Intrusion Detection
- Behavioural Monitoring
- Event Correlation
- Threat Intelligence
- Passive Network Discovery
- Software inventory
- Continuous Vulnerability Monitoring
- Active Network Scanning
- Network, Host and Cloud IDS
- File Integrity Monitoring
- Service Availability Monitoring
- Log Management
AlienVault can take traditional SIEM data and correlate this with its other monitoring systems such as host and network intrustion detection, behaviour monitoring and service availability to create meaningful alerts and data. This eases the burden on the Security Operation Centre as it does a signficant amount of the work for you.
We are proud partners of AlienVault. If you would like to arrange a demo of AlienVault USM email us at email@example.com or phone +64 4 917 6670 and one of our consultants will be in touch.